Over the next two days I am going to focus on two of the main functions of this site that effect me personally; achieving goals and accumulating wealth. Today I will be focusing on my short term goals for the month of July.
I strongly believe that discussing your goals with others will make you more accountable and work harder than if you kept those goals to yourself. For example, if I hadn’t told any of my friends about my budget I was starting back in January, I could easily have cheated and made excuses to myself internally. However, I made it known to all of my friends and family that I was working within a budget for 2009. While no one would ever have known if I bought something beyond the budget, I would have had to cringe when I told those friends I was staying on target even though it was a lie. This added layer of accountability has had a profound effect on my behavior. That is why I am going to announce my goals for July to my readers, in hopes that you all will keep me on track.
These goals aren’t that complicated. I only have one month to achieve each. However, these are things I want and need to do and just need that extra push to get me going.
So here they are, my July goals:
- Set up my 401(k) at work (I know its blasphemy that I haven’t yet, but I don’t qualify for an employer match until July 2nd. Even though this will be done tomorrow it’s still a goal to achieve.)
- Sell my shot glass collection (I already have a buyer, just need to buy packing materials, pack them and ship them – a lot of active barriers here.)
- Sell at least 10 books on eBay or Amazon (actually sold, not just listed.)
- Donate at least 25 books to Books for America (this requires me to lug books on the metro to work, and stop 1/3rd of my commute home to drop off books. I should mention that books are heavy, this will take several trips.)
- Purge one piece of clothing (sell or donate) for every piece that I buy (I am going to Israel next month and need to pick up some things, but I don’t want to overrun my closet.)
- Figure out what to do with my comics (I buy them to read, not to collect and since I have digital copies of all of them I want to purge these from my closet. Any ideas are welcome: comics for soldiers or something?)
There they are; my goals for July of 09. Obviously, July is a “purge stuff” month, but my primary goal is to accumulate wealth over a long period of time, not accumulate stuff. I will feel a great relief when I achieve each of these. If you have any suggestions about my goals or have your own goals you want to make known, please leave a comment below.