I have been sick the past handful of days and it made me think, “I spend a lot of money while I am sick that isn’t in my typical budget.” Maybe its just because I am a young twentysomething guy that doesn’t ever plan on being sick, but I rarely have the right meds in medicine cabinet. Nor do I have “sick” foods in my pantry such as chicken soup, etc.
When I get sick, here is how my day goes.
- Lay in bed until I can summon the strength to move.
- Bitch and moan as I find some clothes to wear to the grocery store.
- Go to the grocery store, and quickly grab whatever I may need (usually the name brand stuff that has all sorts of adjectives in it, “long-lasting, fast-acting, twice as potent”.
- Go home, get back into bed and realize that in my sickness, I forgot to buy food while at the grocery store.
- I find my phone and my wallet, order some chinese food with a big thing of wonton soup.
- Eat my soup and grumble at how bad I feel and the fact I just spent $50 in a day and I have nothing to show for it but symtoms of a sick guy.
- I go back to bed and hope that I will not feel this way for the rest of my life.
I swear, when I am sick, I become a sheep to advertising. Instead of getting the generic store-brand ibuprofin, I get the name brand – everytime. In reality, its all the same drug.
I am going to be putting together a little first aid sick kit next time I make it to the store. This will hopefully last me years of random sick days and end up saving me money in the long run.
The contents of the kit:
- Big bottle of ibuprofin
- Generic Dayquil/Nyquil capsules
- Big box of sudafed
- Whatever is on sale size of pepto-bismol
- Box of Tissues
- 6-8 cans of chicken soup (only to be consumed when sick, so its always handy)
I’ll be honest, I already feel like I am forgetting something. Let me know what else I should be picking up at the store so that I am prepared the next time the plague sweeps through my town by leaving a comment.